Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Coalition of Georgia (HMHBGA) is a coalition of organizations and individuals (partners) operating programs to serve mothers and babies throughout Georgia. 

I designed a web-based app to allow remote partners to enter information on programs serving mothers and babies; these are the key inputs to an application which supports browsing and searching programs on a map.
Planning & Communication
I wrote an introduction to this project, intended to describe the vision of the project for users and the development  team. Click on the thumbnail below to see the entire document, which is published on GitHub.
After some early discussions, I drafted a document that identified and profiled stakeholders (as a step towards personas), and drafted scenarios, for discussion with key users. Click on the thumbnail below to see the entire Stakeholders and Scenarios document.
In order to learn more about partners (and to estimate volumes of programs and how they were geographically defined), I designed a survey to gather information, which the Executive Director forwarded to partners. Click on the thumbnail below to link to the survey.
My first step in design was a conceptual workflow, to verify the responsibilities of each stakeholder and the scope of the system. My first pencil sketch was used in a discussion among the designers, developers, and key users, and helped reach a shared understanding. This is the second sketch, documenting the results of that discussion, and covers the steps in adding a new organization or program to the application.
Next I created wireframes and design mockups. The pencil sketch wireframe on the left generated some good discussion. With the decision to follow Google Material Design standards, I decided to use Material templates in Sketch to create the next version of design mockups; this helped comply with standards as well as incorporate realistic data to engage the users in review. I included the design mockups in a document with some initial thoughts on interactions (see the thumbnail on the right). Download the design mockup document.
Prototyping and User Evaluation
I created several iterations of medium-fidelity clickable design prototypes, and evaluated each with the Executive Director. The prototype was constructed in Axure using screen images created in Sketch. Below is a narrated video walkthrough of the prototype, or click here to access and run the prototype from AxShare.
Planning & Communication
I wrote an "Letter to the next project team", to assist with handoff of this design to a future project team tasked with implementation. Click on the thumbnail below to see the entire document, which is published on GitHub.
Results and Retrospective
What was delivered: I researched, designed, and evaluated a new workflow and a UX design to support that workflow. I also wrote an introduction to the project and a "Letter to the next project team". These were published on GitHub, along with the open-source software developed by my teammates for “Phase 1”. In Phase 1, which went live in December 2016, all information was to be entered by a central administrator and did not incorporate the review and approval functions.

What I learned as a designer: From a design perspective, I learned much from Google’s Material Design, especially how a “call to action” button can clarify the user’s path to the primary outcome. This also helped me get more comfortable with designing in Sketch while following standards. 
From a process perspective, I learned that sometimes real-world projects cannot follow a textbook approach. I would have preferred to directly involve people working at partner organizations (who would be entering program information into the system), but that wasn’t feasible. So I created a survey to gather information from partners, and used that to supplement information from interviewing the administrator. User evaluations were completed by the administrator.

You may also like

Back to Top